For men with gynecomastia, summer can feel like torture. Gynecomastia is a common medical condition with a complicated name, simply put, it means enlarged male breasts. Take summer back by getting treatment for your excess breast tissue. Contact our offices to learn more about male breast reduction in Fredericksburg, VA.
What Causes Male Breast Development?
Male breast development is very common. It is estimated that 40-60% of all men will experience it during their lifetime. There is no known cause for the condition, but it is largely attributed to hormonal fluctuations. If testosterone and estrogen levels are out of balance, breast tissue may develop in men.
Medications, lifestyle choices, medical conditions, and more can all contribute to the development of gynecomastia. Some known contributors to the condition include:
- Anabolic steroids
- Heart medications
- Liver cirrhosis
- Androgens and anti-androgens
- Anti-anxiety medications
- Illegal street drugs including amphetamines and heroin
- Herbal products containing tea tree or lavender
- Kidney failure
Age can also influence the development of this condition. Males are more likely to develop breast tissue during times of hormonal change: infancy, adolescence, and after age 50.
Treating Gynecomastia- What Are My Options?
If you have gynecomastia, treatment may be an option. Many men find that they feel more comfortable and confident in their body’s appearance after treating their excess breast tissue. Talk with your doctor or come visit us to explore your options. Treatment options include:
- Lifestyle or Medication Changes- If your gynecomastia is caused by a medication or lifestyle factor, making a swap can make a difference. Talk with your doctor and explore other options for medication if necessary.
- Wait and See- Some cases of gynecomastia will resolve on their own. However, if the condition is causing distress or embarrassment, it may be worth seeking treatment to resolve the problem sooner.
- Male Breast Reduction- Male breast reduction seeks to create a flatter, more masculine chest appearance in men with gynecomastia. We achieve this using liposuction, removal of glandular tissue, and/or skin removal if needed.
Learn more about your treatment options for gynecomastia by contacting our offices at 540-371-7730 and scheduling a free consultation with one of our plastic surgeons: Dr. Heppe, Dr. Bautista, or Dr. Aflaki.
What to Expect from Male Breast Reduction Surgery
The severity of gynecomastia varies substantially. Some men experience a milder form of the condition while others have significant quantities of breast tissue. Breast composition also varies. Some men have breasts that are largely fatty tissue, and others may have more glandular tissue.
Since anatomy varies significantly from one patient to another, it is difficult to make treatment recommendations without a consultation. After an examination and a discussion of your medical history, we can discuss treatment options.
Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery
Since treatment plans vary for gynecomastia, so do recovery expectations. We’ll give you a better idea of what to expect before your procedure, so you can schedule time off from work and adjust your plans. Generally, less involved surgeries offer shorter recovery times. Patients that receive treatment with liposuction alone are often back to work in a day or two. Glandular tissue removal or skin removal can increase recovery times.
Male Breast Reduction FAQs
If you have questions about male breast reduction, come in for a consultation. It’s free with no obligation. While you wait for your consultation, discover answers to common questions about male breast reduction and gynecomastia below.
- How Long Do Results from Gynecomastia Treatment Last? – Most men will enjoy lifelong results from their gynecomastia treatment. Gaining weight, certain medications, or hormonal changes may cause new breast tissue to develop.
- What Results Should I Expect from Male Breast Reduction? – After surgery, you’ll enjoy a flatter, firmer, more masculine chest.
- Will I Have Scarring After Surgical Gynecomastia Treatment? – Depending on the type of treatment used and the severity of your condition, some scarring may be present after surgery. We carefully place incisions, when possible, to hide scars should they occur. Your incisions will be most noticeable in the weeks and months right after surgery. As you heal, the incisions will fade from bright red to a color that is more consistent with your natural skin tone.
- Why Should I Choose Plastic Surgery Services of Fredericksburg for My Male Breast Reduction? – There are many reasons to choose PSSF for your procedure. We want your surgical experience to be a positive one. Our highly trained plastic surgeons work closely with our experienced and qualified staff to guide and advise patients throughout their plastic surgery treatment and recovery. We offer no-cost consultations to help you decide if a procedure is right for you.
Let’s help you feel more confident without a shirt on this summer. If you have gynecomastia, call our offices and learn about male breast reduction.