Bariatric surgery can be a life changing procedure. In fact, 95% of people who underwent weight loss surgery claim that their quality of life has improved somewhat. But what happens afterwards? What kind of lifestyle changes should you expect after bariatric surgery?
The Effects of Bariatric Surgery
After bariatric surgery, you’re expected to lose on average about 40-50% of extra weight. This can change your entire body chemistry and food processing mechanism.
For instance, you might experience things like:
- Dumping- a term for nausea, vomiting, and weakness after eating foods high in sugar
- A lack of absorption of nutrients like iron and vitamin D
Nutrition with Bariatric Surgery
But with the right lifestyle changes, you can continue to improve the results of your bariatric surgery.
- Eat small meals: after surgery, your stomach will shrink to hold about 1-4 oz. of food. So, remember to eat small, frequent portions
- Eat about 60-80g of protein each day, but don’t exceed 30g in one sitting!
- Keep hydrated
- Consult with a dietitian to make sure you’re getting all the proper nutrients in your new diet
- Consult with a physician to see if you need to take vitamin supplements
- Have a regular exercise routine
Massive weight loss can also lead to excess skin sagging, but that can be fixed through additional surgical procedures called “Body Contouring.” What procedure you get depends on what area you want to work on.
One procedure is called a Body Lift, but technically, it’s a series of procedures:
- A tummy tuck that flattens the tummy
- A lateral thigh lift, with liposuction, tightens the skin around the thighs
- A buttock lift, with liposuction, removes fat and tightens skin to create smoother curves
You can also get a brachioplasty, otherwise known as an arm lift, to remove fat and excess skin for a firmer upper arm.
Depending on what areas you want to target, different procedures can be performed together or done at a later time. Either way, you can completely customize your body contouring experience. If you consult with a surgeon, you can find out which of these procedures are right for you and when it’s the right time to get them.
Body contouring can really emphasize how hard you’ve worked to lose weight. If you feel like post-bariatric surgery is for you, don’t hesitate to contact the Plastic Surgery Services of Fredericksburg for a free consultation with their surgeons.